Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Testing out the SparkPeople CookBook

Last night I got my SP Cookbook in the mail:) I decided to try a couple of easy things since I was not expecting it in the mail so soon.
Last night we were having tacos so instead of use our regular packet of Taco Seasoning I tried out Chef Meg's version.

The original recipe is:
3 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp of red pepper flakes

My 4 year old hates every thing that is spicy so I decided to change it up a little to make it 4 year old friendly.

Tonissa's Version:
3 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
Mix it all together and store in air tight container.

We also decided to change up our boring taco meat:)

Tacos:
1 1/2 lbs of lean ground hamburger
1 can of black beans rinsed
2 tbsp of taco seasoning
1 small can of tomato sauce
Lettuce, tomato, red onion, cheese, taco sauce, and sour cream (what ever you like to add)
Taco shells or chips.

1. Brown hamburger in large non-stick skillet until no longer pink.
2. Rinse black beans and add to browned hamburger.
3. Add 2 tbsp of taco seasoning to tomato sauce. Then add tomato sauce to hamburger and beans. Heat until warmed through.

I made a taco salad with a side of Blue corn chips. My husband and son prefer the flour tortillas.

I also made the Caramel Popcorn. I was a little concerned when it came to stirring the caramel into the popcorn because it was so thick. I had never made homemade caramel corn so I was also concerned how sticky the caramel was drying on the spoon. But let me tell you it turned out to be the greatest caramel corn I have ever tasted! I am looking forward to making it again! And next time I promise to take pictures!!

Stay Tuned
 
Tonissa

No comments:

Post a Comment